Monday, April 13, 2009

Patisserie Cream/Pastry cream/Vanilla Custard


Used as a filling for tarts, puff, napoleon, cakes and other pastries

INGREDIENTS:
- 5 egg yolks
- 100gr sugar
-25-30gr cornstarch/ 50-70gr all purpose flour(I prefer cornstarch as it produces smoother texture)
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 500ml milk/cream
- 1tbsp butter

PREPARATION:
- Whip the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla until it turns pale yellow.

- Add in cornstarch,adjust the amount depending on the thickness of the cream
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, bring milk and butter to shimmer
- Gently pour 1/2 the milk mixture into the egg yolk batter and give it a quick stir
- Pour the egg yolk back to the milk sauce pan, turn to medium heat and continue stirring until the cream starting to thicken
- Immediately remove from heat, keep stirring constantly to form a smooth,thick and shiny cream.

- Pour into a container,covered with plastic wrap if not in use
- The cream can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 months
- Beat before using to get rid of any lumps that may have formed

3 comments:

anna said...

Welcome back. ^^

What did you do with the egg whites? I always feel like I wasted eggs if I only use the white or the yolk. This would be nice to make if I have almond flour, could use the whites for macarons. I won't give up until I succeed making them...lol

♥ESTEE♥ said...

Jeez, I've just tried out the macaroon this morning and it was a disaster. I used slivered almonds and crushed them in the heavy load food processor but still have so many lumps.There is no doubt that it produces ugly cracking dense cookies ;( I can't find almond powder near my place,guess I should order it online then. There are tons of recipes using egg whites.You should try "angel food cake" or "pavlova" or just simply "meringue" =)Have your tried the "cat's tongue cookies" yet? They are good too.
Sorry, I haven't been able to stick to my blog lately due to family's problem

anna said...

Nah, real life goes first. ^^
Update whenever you feel or up to it. It's nothing to apologize about. Hopefully your problems aren't serious. Good luck.

Almond flour seems almost non-existent around where I live.. it's crazy that I have to drive 30 miles just to find it and then fail at making the macaron.. lol. I tried your way too, but it turned exactly the same, too many lumps. I want the top to be at least somewhat smooth.

Hopefully one of us will be able to make this successfully. *fingers cross* XD

I added you on FB a few days ago. I'm not even that active and I have nothing to put on my profile. haha