Friday, January 16, 2009

Kourabiedes (κουραμπιέδες)


Means "Greek shortbread Cookie". This reminds me of my Greek host mother whom I used to stay with. She is a great Greek cook, especially, when it comes to desserts; and this cookie is one of my favorites. I feel regret that I wasted many chances to learn from her because I was 16 and had no interest in baking at that time.

This cookie is one of the traditional Greek desserts. My host mother usually made them to offer her guests, along with sesame cookies ( Koulourakia Lathera) and Baklava. I noticed that Greek desserts are super sweet to my taste, thus, there is no doubt that this cookie does have a lot of coating sugar( but the sweetness can be adjusted)

This cookie should hit the crispy and melt-in-the-mouth texture.So far, it's my family's fav cookie.They love them so much that I have to make them once a week =)

INGREDIENTS: (make 2 dozens cookies)
- 225gr unsalted butter, softened
- 50g powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 80 ml olive oil
- 1tbsp rose water (optional)
- 1 tbsp Greek brandy( I substituted with normal brandy)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 275gr all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 100 gr roasted almond -chopped
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- Extra powdered sugar for coating

PREPARATIONS:
- Using a mixer and a large bowl, cream butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy( approx 10 minutes)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- At in egg yolk and continue to beat till incorporate
- Rose water+ brandy+ olive oil+ vanilla extract mix together, then slowly pour in the butter mixture and mix well.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- Next sift together baking powder and flour. Slowly add to mixture and knead untill all the flour has been absorbed.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
-Add the almonds and knead them into the dough mixture.The final dough should be soft and kinda sticky.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
-Using your hand, grab a piece of dough the size of a walnut and form them into the shape of crescents
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- Place each formed cookie on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat process until all dough has been shaped into cookies.
- Bake in the preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
- Leave in wirerack to completely cool, store in an air tight jar
- Coat with powdered sugar when serving

2 comments:

Charlie said...

This looks awesome! I've always wanted to know how to make these cookies. Thanks for posting. Yum...butter makes everything taste good.

♥ESTEE♥ said...

These mouthwatering cookies smell supper good when baked,try and see ;) you say right,I love everything that has butter in it.