Sunday, April 20, 2008
Vietnamese banana ice cream(Kem chuối)
Remind me of the childhood, i always went to the grocery store after school for this ice cream.At that time it was 2 cents i guess...It is a extremely thin layer of ice cream,hold by a small long stick and covered with a clear wrap. That's why they sell it for a very cheap price...of course,for the kids like me. I could never forget the mouthwatering taste....Cool me down immediately in such scorching weather.
INGREDIENTS: (make 12)
- 6 ripe plaintains ( or whatever banana you have but plaintains taste the best)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml water
- 1tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 70 gr roasted crushed peanut (approximately)
- 70 gr shredded coconut (approximately)
- 12 sandwich zip lock bags
- marinate plaintains with 3tbsp sugar for 1 hour and then slice them
- Mix and heat up the coconut milk, vanilla and water
- In a small bowl, mix the tapioca starch and 5tbsp of water
- When the coconut mixture boils, fastly pour in the tapioca mixture and mix throughly until the coconut gets very thick
- Leave to cool.
- Place 2-3 slices in the bag
- Use the roller to flatten the slices
- Fill up the bag with peanuts and coconut
- Pour in 3-5 tbsp of coconut mixture and flatten the bag
- Freeze the ice cream overnight.