Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spicy baby clams with rice cracker(Hến xúc bánh đa)

This appetizer/snack is very expensive in the restaurants ( about $7 for a tiny bowl).Since I found that frozen mini clams in available the market, I was drooling. So I went of with one pack and finish up everything in one night =D Although it's not as good as the one I tried in the restaurants ( because they had a very special house sauce to have with), it indeed satisfies my craving for clams. Besides, I discovered something really interesting from my uncle (again! ). As I can never finish up the Vietnamese coriander and I thought fresh vegies cannot be store in a long time,they usually end up in the rubbish bin . The other day I came to my uncle house to have some Fetal duck egg(hột vịt lộn) and saw very fresh coriander. My uncle said if they are dead, soak them in cold water for several hours . It's true!
It's my withered coriander just bought from the market

After soaking in water


INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pack ( 200gr) frozen mini clams,thawed

- Shallot, garlic, onion, 3 small chilies

- Vietnamese Coriander,thinly sliced
- Roasted peanut,grinded
- 1 sesame rice crackers, toasted ( or eventually microwave for 1-2 minutes)

- Fish sauce, seasoning powder, salt, olive oil

PREPARATION:
- Rinse the clams to get rid of any sand, drain well.
- In a medium pot, heat oil over high flame, add shallot, garlic and onion until they turn yellow.
- Add in clam and stir well . Seasoning with fish sauce, seasoning powder and salt.
- Continue to stir for additional 2 minutes or until the clams get a bit dry.
- Add vietnamese coriander, chili pepper and mix well. Sprinkle with roasted peanut,serve with toasted sesame rice cracker.

No comments: