Saturday, December 20, 2008
Traditional Crab Soup( Su'p cua)
- 1 package of crab meat (1 lb)
- 1 glove garlic,chopped
- 1 can quail eggs
- 1 dried fungu
- 3 eggs ( season with a little bit of fish sauce, pepper, and seasoning powder, then slightly beat)
- 3 tbsp corn starch + 3 tbsp tapioca starch + 6 tbsp water ( mix well)
- 3 cans (400g each) chicken broth ( alternatively, using pork bone is much better for the soup)
- 3 cans ( measured by chicken broth's can) water
- 5-6 stalks coriander
- Fish sauce, pepper, salt, seasoning powder, fine vinegar, soy sauce
- Soak fungu in warm water for 15 minutes or until blooming, rinse well, using scissor to cut it into small chunks
- Quail eggs rinse well in water
- In medium pan, heat the oil and add the chopped garlic; add the crab meat and fry for 5 minutes over high heat.Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, stirring constantly.
- Add the crab meat mixture to the soup( chicken broth and water) and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to medium, gradually pour in starch mixture and stir constantly until the soup gets thicken and clear. If the soup the not thick enough, pour in extra starch mixture.In constrast, if it's too thick, pour in water.
- Strain the egg and continue stirring until ribbons appear
- Add in the remained ingredients ( fungu, quail eggs) and let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes in low heat.
- Serve in small soup bowl as appetizer, garnish with coriander and ground pepper, add some drops of fine vinegar and soy sauce.