Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Mexican Churros( Butter version)
INGREDIENTS: (make 1 1/2 dozen churros)
*For the batter:
- 250 ml. water
-100 gm. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 190 gm. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2-5 eggs( depends on the thickness of the batter, the first time I used 5 eggs but the second time I only need 2)
- Oil for frying
- 80gr castor sugar + 2 tsp cinamon powder ( or as desired) mix together.
- The process for preparing the batter is done in the same way as cream puff . However, the batter for churros should be much thicker and very sticky.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a wide frying pan and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, spoon half the dough into a large pastry bag or cookie press fitted with a large star tip.
- Squeeze a 7 to 9-inch ribbon of dough into hot oil; slice off. Cook 2 or 3 ribbons at a time until well golden browned (about 5 minutes).
- Remove churros and drain on paper towels. While warm, coat churros liberally with cinamon sugar. Serve immediately.